Community Park Cities Tactical
Park Cities Tactical
Who's Online
0 registered (), 71 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Stancliff69, reaboy86, wfbacker, Airborne Daddy, Russ
9972 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
JoeyBones (41)
Top Posters
p7newbie 11040
Limey 4177
Stephen 3795
HK45C 3786
P7perfect 2860
CZ-75 2825
Mathew 2197
TRMN8R 2114
SAWBONES 2045
yugo308guy 1941
Forum Stats
9972 Members
21 Forums
17926 Topics
143533 Posts

Max Online: 492 @ 03/27/20 10:08 AM
Featured Member
Google Ads
Amazon 2
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#127710 - 01/12/02 07:36 AM Took the 'twins' out (w/ pics!)
FrontSight Offline
P7 Vixen

Took the twins out shooting (my P7M13s) and the M8.

Started with the M8 and fancy targets. I like occasionally using those birchwood casey stick-on targets, and I tried the 2-triangle target. Here are a couple of pics. Most shots were from 15’. I usually shoot @ 21’, but someone told me I should shoot closer and used realistic targets. I started w/ 5 rounds at 9’ but that seemed too strange so I moved it to 15’ and used the Martian targets.

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/frontsight9mm/vwp?.dir=/Target+Shooting&.src=ph&.dnm=January+%2702+P7M8+first+target.jpg&.view=t&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/bc/frontsight9mm/lst%3f% 26.dir=/Target%2bShooting%26.src=ph%26.view=t

Every time I shoot other guns, I become very grateful for the HK P7. The enjoyment difference between shooting that gun and any other is like a 6.0 on the Richter scale.

Here’s how I felt with about the other guns I shot:

Walther P99
Seemed too small for the length of my fingers. When pulling the trigger, it felt like I had to pull it past the point of leverage with my trigger finger.

Glock 33 (a .357 sig semi-auto)
VERY unpleasant to shoot.

Loaded 5. Shot first round. I nearly screamed in disgust.
Significant muzzle flash surprised me.
Shot 3 more. Yuck.
Pulled trigger on 5’th round. Felt the plink of the firing pin falling. No bang.
[One one-thousand, two one-thousand…]
Dropped the mag and unchambered the round.
The (unfired) round looked like this:

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/frontsight9mm/vwp?.dir=/Target+Shooting&.dnm=357sig+dead+from+Glock+33.jpg&.src=ph&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/bc/frontsight9mm/vwp%3f.dir=/Target%2b Shooting%26.dnm=January%2b%252702%2bP7M13new%2btarget.jpg%26.src=ph

HK USP 9mm
this seemed to be the least worst. However, the hammer in the back moving down on the first shot was distracting to focusing on the front sight.

In conclusion, I love my P7s. love

FrontSight

#127711 - 01/12/02 07:58 AM Re: Took the 'twins' out (w/ pics!)
lunde Offline
Sharp Shooter

Loc: CA
I like my Glock 33. In fact, I have two of them. I use the Pearce "Plus One" magazine extensions for mine. Your ammo experience sounds like mine when I used Sellier & Bellot brand in my .357 Sig Glocks. Lots of duds. I also like my P7s.

#127712 - 01/12/02 08:38 AM Re: Took the 'twins' out (w/ pics!)
RTAB1 Offline
Operator

Loc: MN
Quote:
Originally posted by FrontSight:

Glock 33 (a .357 sig semi-auto)

VERY unpleasant to shoot.

[/b]

The Pearce +1 base plate makes all the difference in the world. A Hogue Handall Jr. makes a big difference too. Try it again before you write it off. A buddy of mine in the USSS (Sig 229 in .357) would kill to be able to carry this gun. It give a bowling pin a heck of a whack too! Russ

#127713 - 01/12/02 09:04 AM Re: Took the 'twins' out (w/ pics!)
garrettwc Offline

Loc: Midwest
Quote:
[b]Walther P99
Seemed too small for the length of my fingers. When pulling the trigger, it felt like I had to pull it past the point of leverage with my trigger finger.
FrontSight[/b]

Those must be some long fingers you got there
wink I have never heard someone say the reach was too short on a P99. I have average sized hands and I still use the smallest insert of the 3 best.

Regarding the pictures, pretty impressive. I know from chatting with you on other threads that you are fairly new to shooting. How many rounds per week do you shoot? And how long did it take you to get that good? Are you range taught or did you go to one of the shooting schools?

Don't misundertand, I can keep all my shots on the 8" center and I even hit a few "X's" but those 15 shot half dollar sized beauties are still eluding me.

#127714 - 01/12/02 09:49 AM Re: Took the 'twins' out (w/ pics!)
compassman Offline
Rookie

Owned a Walther P99. It was one of the first P99 .40 in the country. Nothing but problems. It was not nice of Walther to have a recall and not tell anybody. The recall was on the first P99 in .40SW. They used the 9mm frame and never upgraded the springs for the .40SW. There were all kinds of problems that ranged from: Slide staying open, Decocking it's self after the first shot, Magazine spring was to loose. I thought at first it was only my firearm until I started to find other people with the same problem in .40SW only. I called Walther a few times until I got an answer from them. The answer was send it to Smith and Wesson they handle problems with the Walther P99. The people at smith and Wesson told me about the problem with the Walther P99 in .40SW and that they would install the new upgraded springs at no cost. I still paid for the shipping. It took them three times to get my gun to fire more then a box of ammo before it would function reliable! When they told me it usually is a reliable gun and they don't have many problems I sent them all the e-mails I got from people with the same problem and sent them to Walther also. The gun never functioned reliable after a hundred rounds. I got an article from guns test and a few other places that test guns off the shelf and they had some of the same problems. I also used all the e-mails I received from people to get Smith and Wesson to refund my money. They told me it was how I was shooting. So instead of getting pissed I recorded my self and four other people shooting who all experience the same problem. I complained so much that Smith and Wesson refunded my money. I went out and bought a HK P7. It's funny that New Jersey went almost through the same problems I went through. Smith and Wesson even said the same thing to New Jersey officers shooting them. New Jersey did the same thing I did they got there money back.

#127715 - 01/12/02 05:51 PM Re: Took the 'twins' out (w/ pics!)
FrontSight Offline
P7 Vixen

[long post warning]

Quote:
WaltherP99man:
Those must be some long fingers you got there
~7" from bottom middle of palm to tip of index finger. Not including fingernail :-). My palms are usually smaller than guy's palms but my fingers make up for that. I haven't tried a gun too big.

Quote:
WaltherP99man:
I have never heard someone say the reach was too short on a P99.
It also could have been how I was holding it.

Quote:
WaltherP99man:
I know from chatting with you on other threads that you are fairly new to shooting.
Not really; maybe I just sound ignorant :-). I've owned guns (HKs) for a while. The day I decided that was what I needed I went to a gun store, instantly liked the squeeze thing, figured if they were so expensive they were high quality, and bought several (against the store salesperson's advice to buy a Ladysmith): the P7M8, M13, M3 Super 90 shotgun, the .223 HK rifle pre-ban, an AR-15, etc., and a safe of course. The gun store owner was delighted. Perhaps mildly concerned, but delighted.

But for a long while I did not like shooting at all, because it reminded me of why I got a gun to begin with. So there they sat.
(And there the long guns sit. I am still not into rifles or comfortable with shotguns *at all*. )

Quote:
WaltherP99man:
How many rounds per week do you shoot? And how long did it take you to get that good? Are you range taught or did you go to one of the shooting schools?
Before I started reading this board (Nov '01), I had gone shooting maybe twice in the proceeding year (definitely once when I took some visiting European sales types to the range). Since reading this board, I've been twice, once teaching someone from work who asked me to, and recently alone.

I'd prefer more, but I travel too much now. However, my New Year's resolutions = shoot more, travel less.

Before I moved to Austin, I would shoot ~ once a month during the spring and summer with some LEOs and IPSC shooters who would practice timed scenarios early evening on an outdoor range. My nick was "ventricle' (as in, which one) or "X' (as in, X-rated) depending on if I was using my holster. It was important to be good during those sessions because if you were the best you got to sit in the "best' seat facing the door with your back to the wall in the fast food place afterwards. I was usually not best because I was rarely the fastest.

Quote:
WaltherP99man:
And how long did it take you to get that good? Are you range taught or did you go to one of the shooting schools?
OK. If you promise you won't interpret this as bragging I'll tell you.

Experienced a pivotal point from being average to however good you would call what I am now: I read a book. Practical Shooting, by Brian Enos.

Ordered it when I was trying to figure out how to prepare for training courses so I wouldn't embarrass myself. Read it on a Friday night, thought about it on Saturday, dry-fired, and went to the range on Sunday. I fired 10 rounds in the same group (don't remember what distance; not very far), and left. …Feeling a lot better about my abilities.

At Chapman Academy, was not impressed by Ray, who was kind of like the wise professor who was not great at imparting knowledge, but I thought John Skaggs, his lead instructor, was an incredible diagnostician, and I'd recommend any course he teaches. There I learned how to be faster, and how to move and shoot. Qualified in the top category, but was beat by a really oinkish (aka, sexist) Navy Seal with a huge ego. I really wanted to beat him too. [sniff] He was significantly better than me on the mover. After the qualification, he told me I could be his backup. I replied with “F*ck that, you can be MY backup.” and a smile of course because I was disappointed but I didn't want to sound mean. He then very directly propositioned me. I told him that blood test results can't come back that quickly, but that if he taught me the 5 best unarmed defense moves that he had been taught, that I and my female military buddy that I was shooting with would consider going to dinner with him. Was that quick thinking or what :-)? He agreed, and showed me some counter-knife stuff and unarmed maneuvers. It was scary how much faster and stronger he was than me.

A really fun thing about Chapman was there was another woman there with a couple other military types, and we instantly bonded. She wasn't good though, so I started telling her what to change and how to approach it (stuff from the book). By the end of the week, she also graduated in the top category. That was so cool. There was a 2 person alternating team exercise that we did the best in the class on. Our target (far left of the range again) was a lot better than anyone else's, even the Seal's and the guy he was shooting with. We were quietly getting off on it.

So I learned tons of important things at both LFI and Chapman, but the fundamentals I learned from reading the Brian Enos book.

Quote:
WaltherP99man:
Don't misunderstand, I can keep all my shots on the 8" center and I even hit a few "X's" but those 15 shot half dollar sized beauties are still eluding me.
My 5 shot one was small, but my 15 shot ones were not half-dollar sized (I'm not home now to measure but I'm pretty sure they are not that small). Even on the 2 triangle 5-shot in the head target, there is one not in the same group. The 20-round one third one in also has 2 shots that aren't in the same group.

FrontSight

#127716 - 01/12/02 06:45 PM Re: Took the 'twins' out (w/ pics!)
SAWBONES Offline
Operator

Loc: The third dimension
Nice job, Front Sight! Thanks for sharing your experiences. No "oinking" attitudes here, but I LOVE women who shoot!

#127717 - 01/12/02 10:33 PM Re: Took the 'twins' out (w/ pics!)
p7newbie Offline
Operator

Loc: Handgun Control Inc.
Oh....those twins....oink oink

10 day waiting period? But I'm mad now!

#127718 - 01/12/02 10:47 PM Re: Took the 'twins' out (w/ pics!)
garrettwc Offline

Quote:
Frontsight:
Not really; maybe I just sound ignorant :-).

Not at all, in fact I think you're more knowledgeable than I am in lots of areas. My impression was that the events that led up to your decision to arm yourself were recent.
Quote:
Frontsight:
OK. If you promise you won’t interpret this as bragging I’ll tell you.

Experienced a pivotal point from being average to however good you would call what I am now: I read a book. Practical Shooting, by Brian Enos.

It ain't braggin' if you can do it. Note to self get new book for gun library.
Quote:
Frontsight:
Also went to Chapman Academy. Qualified in the top category, but was beat by a really oinkish (aka, sexist) Navy Seal with a huge ego. I really wanted to beat him too. [sniff] He was significantly better than me on the mover. After the qualification, he told me I could be his backup. I replied with “F*ck that, you can be MY backup.” and a smile of course. It was scary how much faster and stronger he was than me.

That will get you instant respect from even the most oinkish. As for speed and strength, he gets paid to be stronger and faster than everybody.
Quote:
Frontsight:
My 5 shot one was small, but my 15 shot ones were not half-dollar sized (I’m not home now to measure but I’m pretty sure they are not that small).

OK, I exaggerated a little. The point being they were all in one ragged hole. Some of mine look like I was shooting a shotgun shocked

Looks like I need some regular practice and some tutoring and I can get there.

Thanks for taking the time to give me all the details.

[ 01-13-2002: Message edited by: WaltherP99man ]

#127719 - 01/13/02 12:07 AM Re: Took the 'twins' out (w/ pics!)
FrontSight Offline
P7 Vixen

Thanks Sawbones.

[read newbie post… wonder what he means… the oink part means I need a newbie shim to translate… "a newbie shim'…definite vocabulary enrichment candidate term]

Quote:
WaltherP99man:
My impression was that the events that led up to your decision to arm yourself were recent.
The second case is recent. I'm pretty much over it.

Quote:
WaltherP99man:
That will get you instant respect from even the most oinkish.
Mr. Seal did agree to what I wanted so I was happy about that. I'm always interested in learning about practical non-gun responses, and I was tired of shooting after 5 days straight... Am not sure about the respect part; he was as oinkish as ever. He had me pinned and whispered in my ear that if I thought that wrestling in the dirt was fun, he promised that sex would be better. I popped my head back (I was prone) and hit his cheekbone really hard. That was the only thing I could really do. He swore at me.

At dinner, the woman I paired off shooting with told him, “Hey, looks like the girl that almost beat you also gave you a shiner.” Oinker glared at me.. I beamed. Told him that I hoped his Seal buddies didn't question him too much on the shiner.

Quote:
WaltherP99man:
As for speed and strength, he gets paid to be stronger and faster than everybody.
I s'pose.

Quote:
WaltherP99man:
OK, I exaggerated a little. The point being they were all in one ragged hole.
Ahh; ok. My nerd tendencies kicked in. I'm still going to measure it when I get home :-). You measure a group by the diameter of the biggest distance, including the flier, right?

Quote:
WaltherP99man:
Looks like I need some regular practice and some tutoring and I can get there.
Absolutely.

FrontSight

#127720 - 01/13/02 06:01 AM Re: Took the 'twins' out (w/ pics!)
RTAB1 Offline
Operator

Loc: MN
Impressive FrontSight, and not at all unexpected. Anytime I need to be humbled all I have to do is take my wife shooting. Thanks for the book tip. Russ

#127721 - 01/13/02 08:40 AM Re: Took the 'twins' out (w/ pics!)
Stephen Offline
Grand Poobah

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by p7newbie:
Oh....those twins....oink oink

That was the first thing that leaped through my mind when I saw the thread heading... however I didn't have the eek to post it tsk tsk

Nice shooting FrontSight!

"...I could talk about industrialization and men's fashions all day, but I'm afraid work must intrude..."
Hans Gruber from Die Hard

The Cult of The P7 Fair and Balanced: "You report, we decide."

Ass seen in April 2004 SWAT Magazine.

#127722 - 01/13/02 10:41 AM Re: Took the 'twins' out (w/ pics!)
FrontSight Offline
P7 Vixen

Quote:
Stephen:
That was the first thing that leaped through my mind when I saw the thread heading...

??? Ok. That settles it. You XY types are wired completely differently.

I asked my housemate to ask what would be the first XY interpretation of twins in this context and she said maybe breasts. Is this it? I woke up her bf (something accomplished only be causing a small earthquake on the bed) and told him that 'i took the twins out' last night and he said 1/2 awake, 'you had sex with twins?' So that must be it. (?)

Quote:
Stephen:
however I didn't have the eek to post it tsk tsk

It's that impulse control thing. I've already started giving p7newbie therapy about that once. laugh

FrontSight

#127723 - 01/13/02 12:36 PM Re: Took the 'twins' out (w/ pics!)
garrettwc Offline

Quote:
Frontsight:
??? Ok. That settles it. You XY types are wired completely differently.
I asked my housemate to ask what would be the first XY interpretation of twins in this context and she said maybe breasts. Is this it?

Yes and yes. We are wired differently and it does make us sexist sometimes. But that extra chromosome also makes us laugh at the Three Stooges, love dogs, and relate well to small children. You gotta take the good with the bad. It's all part of our boyish charm :rolleyes:

#127724 - 01/13/02 12:47 PM Re: Took the 'twins' out (w/ pics!)
FrontSight Offline
P7 Vixen

OK Waltherp99man, thanks for the newbie shim.

FrontSight

#127725 - 01/13/02 01:20 PM Re: Took the 'twins' out (w/ pics!)
garrettwc Offline

You're welcome. And FWIW the Seal was a jerk. He had the shiner coming.

Quote:
newbie shim

Explain please, I missed that one in your vocabulary enrichment thread.

#127726 - 01/13/02 04:58 PM Re: Took the 'twins' out (w/ pics!)
p7newbie Offline
Operator

I'm glad that is all cleared up....I watched with much anticipation the explanations of my post...I would have posted it myself but then, that would be like laughing at your own joke...goes against my nature....good shooting Front sight....please keep us abreast of your skills with those guns....nines are so much more fun that 38s...ta ta for now.....

#127727 - 01/13/02 08:31 PM Re: Took the 'twins' out (w/ pics!)
FrontSight Offline
P7 Vixen

Brat!

#127728 - 01/13/02 10:45 PM Re: Took the 'twins' out (w/ pics!)
p7newbie Offline
Operator

You can't spell brat without bra.....

#127729 - 01/14/02 08:10 PM Re: Took the 'twins' out (w/ pics!)
HKRich Offline
Plinker

Is there someone around that can let you shoot one with the Pierce extension on it? I shot one both ways and I agree that it has an influence. Give it a shot?
- - Rich

#127730 - 01/20/02 12:30 AM Re: Took the 'twins' out (w/ pics!)
FrontSight Offline
P7 Vixen

WaltherP99man, I'm back and I measured the groups.

All distances = 15'.

Best groups were 18 rounds @ 1.25" and 27 rounds @ 1.5", done with a P7M8.

All groups were <= 2.25".

Noticed something I hadn't before until I measured them: My P7M8 groups were all tighter than my P7M13 groups.

FrontSight

#127731 - 01/20/02 01:35 AM Re: Took the 'twins' out (w/ pics!)
garrettwc Offline

Looking at the time on your post I hope you had something better to do on a Saturday night than measure groups. wink

Sub 2" groups with the best ones sub 1.25"! Like I said before pretty impressive Frontsight. I gotta practice more, especially the DA first shot. It is usually my flier.
Quote:
Noticed something I hadn't before until I measured them: My P7M8 groups were all tighter than my P7M13 groups

You're not the first person I have heard say that about the P7s. I think the extra thickness for the 13rd mag throws it off just enough.

#127732 - 01/20/02 09:12 AM Re: Took the 'twins' out (w/ pics!)
Stephen Offline
Grand Poobah

I'm the opposite... My groups are tighter with my M13 than with my M8.

"...I could talk about industrialization and men's fashions all day, but I'm afraid work must intrude..."

#127733 - 01/20/02 09:59 AM Re: Took the 'twins' out (w/ pics!)
FrontSight Offline
P7 Vixen

Quote:
WaltherP99man:
Looking at the time on your post I hope you had something better to do on a Saturday night than measure groups. wink

Hey, that was a very a fun Sat night! It's great to be back home. Traveling alone in the US can be lonely. We had just returned from the late movie and I was tidying while everyone was yapping. I made them iced latte decafs w/ Baileys (total yum!).

Quote:
WaltherP99man:
I gotta practice more, especially the DA first shot. It is usually my flier.

Suggestion: I believe Brian Enos says in his book that getting the sight picture is not the hard thing; it is not disturbing the sight picture at the moment the hammer falls that requires skill. That is the instant when you have to be aware of your sight picture.

One experiment that helped make me get faster (aka less slow) w/ out losing accuracy is for 10 rounds or so, just take just a ‘loose’ sight picture until you think the hammer is going to drop. Then, make sure the sight picture is there.

This is something I have to think harder about with my Airweight than the P7. On my Airweight:

1) The trigger pull seems to telegraph everything that is going on internally, which can lead to anticipation (I don't say the f-word; bad reinforcement) after 10 rounds or so.
2) There is not really enough distance between the trigger and the back of the grip for me, which results in a more awkward trigger squeeze.

Quote:
WaltherP99man:
I think the extra thickness for the 13rd mag throws it off just enough.

Inherent to the gun or to the shooter?

Unless I had measured it, I would not have noticed the difference in group sizes.

FrontSight

[ 01-20-2002: Message edited by: FrontSight ]

#127734 - 01/20/02 11:05 AM Re: Took the 'twins' out (w/ pics!)
garrettwc Offline

Quote:

Inherent to the gun or to the shooter?

Unless I had measured it, I would not have noticed the difference in group sizes.

FrontSight

[ 01-20-2002: Message edited by: FrontSight ]

Combination of the two. The theory is the thicker grip opens your hand up just enough to let the gun move more. Of course, Stephen posted that his does just the opposite so that kind of pokes holes in it.

#127735 - 01/20/02 03:36 PM Re: Took the 'twins' out (w/ pics!)
p7newbie Offline
Operator

Hmmm...looks like a call to Hk is in order....

[ 01-20-2002: Message edited by: p7newbie ]

#127736 - 01/20/02 03:41 PM Re: Took the 'twins' out (w/ pics!)
p7newbie Offline
Operator

I spoke with an Hk engineer, Ernst Hillstaker, who told me the M8 is slightly more accurate than the M13. He added that the M13 was designed after numerous requests from people who couldn't shoot the M8 well and figured the extra 5 rounds would give them a slight edge...

#127737 - 01/20/02 07:52 PM Re: Took the 'twins' out (w/ pics!)
FrontSight Offline
P7 Vixen

Quote:
Originally posted by Stephen:
I'm the opposite... My groups are tighter with my M13 than with my M8.

May I ask you a personal question? [seriously...]

How long is your hand measured from bottom middle of palm to tip of index finger?

[reproving tone] Newb, behave yourself. [/reproving tone]

FrontSight

#127738 - 01/20/02 08:11 PM Re: Took the 'twins' out (w/ pics!)
Larry W. Offline

Loc: Cupertino, CA
Quote:
reproving tone] Newb, behave yourself. [/reproving tone]

You two sound like perfect for eachother, when's the wedding?

...that would be an interesting wedding gift list: 12 cases 9MM ammo, matching P7 holsters, his and hers cleaning kits, MP5...

smile

#127739 - 01/21/02 08:57 AM Re: Took the 'twins' out (w/ pics!)
Stephen Offline
Grand Poobah

Quote:

How long is your hand measured from bottom middle of palm to tip of index finger?

It's about 7-3/8"

#127740 - 07/26/02 01:23 PM Re: Took the 'twins' out (w/ pics!)
Stephen Offline
Grand Poobah

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  CZ-75, HK45C, Stephen 
Shout Box

BorrowLenses
Google Ads 2
Cluster Map
Locations of visitors to this page